Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hooray for Camping!


I'm back from my camping trip. Even though I love what I do, it is really nice to get away. We camped at Beverly Beach outside of Newport, OR. Our campsite was a 2 minute walk to the beach. It was great being so close to the ocean. We spent 2 days eating delicious camping food, sitting on the beach and staring at the fire. Lovely.

I love visiting the coast, however I am not a fan of tourist activities. In fact, I find them to be very irritating. I don't like huge crowds of people or looking in shops that don't interest me. Jenny says I hate fun, but I don't hate fun, I hate crappy gift shops sporting bad bumper stickers and tie dye. I don't care to look at bronze statues in expensive galleries. I've never been one for window shopping. I prefer to shop when I've got money to spend, so strolling along shops where I either don't want anything or can't afford anything doesn't interest me. I prefer to find little antique and thrift shops, independent cafes and yarn/craft stores.

I'm not a fan of nautical puns as business names either. In fact, all weekend we had this joke about how I'd like to have my own coastal town where there would be no nautical named businesses. There would be no "Pirate's Cove" bar, "Barnacle Bills" "Whaler's Court Hotel" etc. There ended up being a lot of things my coastal town wouldn't have like kite shops, nautical named galleries featuring glass balls and bronze sculptures, and my coastal town would have only one tourist attraction :: the ocean. My town got the name Rules, Oregon. Ha ha.

This is Lydia, she likes green and she's very soft::


Oh and I got 2 requests for these::

so I thought I'd make some for the shop. I've been meaning to make invitations for a long time, so now seemed like a good time.

No comments: