Monday, July 23, 2007

What you're about to see took great courage

I have been working on getting my craft room organized and ready for the new shelves I'm getting. I think the shelves will be the solution to my fabric storage and organization dilemma. I've tried many different types of storage and they all lead to this:

A giant fabric nightmare. I am a very messy crafter and seamstress, that's not going to change. I've accepted this fact, but have also come to realize that the more organized I am to begin with the less likely it is the mess will get out of control. So shelving it is. After the room gets painted and the shelves are in, my next project is the craft table. The table we have now has a large base in the center which is fine except that it's a lot of wasted space and with a craft room that is overflowing with that space is precious. My idea is to find 2 cabinets that I can put either side by side or back to back with a table top mounted on them. This will give adequate table space while providing storage below.

Now, I've got to decide on a paint color. I adore choosing paint color. Though, I've gotten rather boring in my color choices lately. I think it has to do with the fact that I have an awful lot of stuff on the walls and cluttering up every flat surface in the house, so when you add a bright or busy wall color it's just too much. That, and I've adopted a 'less is more' attitude lately. I'm trying to apply it to all areas of my life. It's working out fine, indeed. So, in most of the house, I've left the walls white. I'd like to give them a fresh coat of creamy satin paint but I just don't have the time right now. The craft room, however, needs some color. I'm thinking grey. I know, so boring. If you had told me 3 or 4 years ago that I would be considering painting a wall grey I would've scoffed for sure. Yet, here I am loving, grey, beige and cream. The new Martha Stewart paint palette has a lovely shade called beachglass, it's kind of a light blue grey. I like it but I've only seen it online. I may stop in at Lowe's tomorrow to see the swatch in person. I just found some vintage, white, dotted swiss curtains that I bought last summer, still in the package even. They are very nice on the window in the craft room. The white curtains would look lovely with 'beachglass' walls I think. You can't really see the curtains here but you can see my cute little red basket full of Japanese fabrics.

Sorry for the long winded craft room post. This is a very important facet of my life and I've struggled for years with getting it organized so the idea that I may have finally devised a system that works is very exciting. I'll keep you posted for sure.

2 comments:

{kimmymade} said...

As a big fan/admirer of your work, that was pretty cool for me to see! Makes me want to say, hmmmmm, can youmake me a softie like this one you sold way back when in these fabrics... ;-)

Be sure to post after pics,onced you've painted and your shelves are set up.

monda-loves said...

I don't know if anyone can be a tidy crafter honestly.
I spent a good few hours at the weekend clearing up my workspace and piling up fabrics and things, but now it's all clean and tidy, I have some space to make more mess!

I found you via etsy. You make some lovely things :o)