Wednesday, June 04, 2008

How My Garden Grows



One of the things keeping me busy the past few weeks has been the garden. I have been craving the ever so elusive Pacific Northwest sun this year more than usual. We've been outside nearly every day planning and digging and planting. Every year the garden and backyard become easier to maintain. A lot of that is due to experience. I've had to move a few things that were planted with no real thought as to the size, shape and space requirements. Lesson learned, don't plant a hydrangea in front of an azalea bush in a 3 foot wide bed.

This year we built two raised beds in the garden bed. I'm so happy with them. They took half a day to build and are already making things easier. I've got pretty much all of my vegetables in and now we just water and wait. The only things I'd still like to have are spinach, brussels sprouts and some peas. This year I'm growing 2 tomatillo plants, 4 varieties of tomatoes (roma, amish paste, carlotta and cherry), english cucumber, butternut squash, pumpkin, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, and butter lettuce. I've also got a little section devoted to herbs.

4 comments:

PonyBoy Press said...

What a pretty new header! I usually read you in google reader and I don't see those things there. Your garden looks great, you have been very busy!

Janet Noe Rhoads said...

Hi there! Can you please tell me what that plant is in the second picture that has green leaves tinged with pink? I absolutely love it! Thank you!

Jenn Hill said...

Hi Janet,
I believe that plant is a type of clover, but I'm not finding anything about it. Does anybody know? I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find anything.
XOXO,
Jenn

Tara said...

I love the raised beds! I'm having the same experiences of moving locations and re-potting things business. And I'm battling the Texas heat to keep it all alive! Good luck!