Monday, May 28, 2007

My Love Affair With McCall's


I have a large collection of vintage magazines. I use them for robot candy. Though they are a necessary part of my business, they are heavy, bulky and difficult to store. I've been paring down my collection recently because as I mentioned in previous posts, I live in real fear that I may one day be crushed to death by a towering stack of Life, Better Homes and Gardens and The Saturday Evening Post. This isn't even factoring in the ever growing collection of Martha magazines.

My favorite of the vintage magazines is McCall's Needlework and Crafts. These were published biannually and were packed full of craft, sewing, crochet, and knitting patterns. I have made many projects from the patterns, but mostly I use them for inspiration.

I just finally decided to inventory them as I was quite sure I had some duplicates (did I ever! at least 12). I was surprised and delighted to learn that my compulsive hoarding had paid off, I have every issue between the years 1949 and 1974 + several of the Annuals which were published around the holidays. I'm only missing one from 1954 but I'm sure I'll come across it. If you ever find one of these at a tag sale or thrift shop, pick it up, you won't regret it. Not only are the projects amusing and often adorable, the ads are great too!


No comments: