Thursday, May 13, 2010

Found


I spotted this sad little secretary on the side of the road for free the other day. I immediately saw it's potential and since I love few things more than before and afters, I knew I had to bring it home.

Someone had drilled a hole in the front of the fold down panel, I'm assuming for a lock. That needed to be patched for sure. I didn't have a drill bit the right size to drill a plug out of wood, but I did have a good supply of wine corks, one of which fit perfectly in the hole, then I puttied over it and sanded it down, you can hardly notice it now. The wood veneer on two of the drawers was warped and peeling away so we tried removing it on one drawer which turned into several hours of chiseling at it to get it off and then eventually sanding it down. We opted to leave the veneer on the second drawer and hope the paint and primer would hide the problem. Happily, it worked, hurrah!

The primer we had was tinted grey to make the yellow coat better and it happened to be the perfect shade of grey, so we used it as paint on the inside and knobs. Love that. I'm loving the bright yellow, too. The office is almost all white and a bright shot of color is just what it needed.






I have been looking for just such a piece of furniture for storing merchandise. And to think that it could have ended up at the dump. I love my little secretary!

13 comments:

kendra said...

wow! what a lucky little desk! great work - it is fantastic!!!

Mommy's Busy said...

OMG that is awesome.I love finds like that.You did a great job on it.

Jane said...

It looks awesome, so cheery and sleek! I love that it has a whole new busy life to look forward to :)

stacey said...

Score! What a great desk...and I LOVE the colors!

bohomeme said...

Yes, total score! Fabulous job!

Nancy said...

I love it. Great job. It has me looking for a similar style now. Thanks for the inspiration.

http://a-little-bit-of-love.blogspot.com/

Tali said...

wow! That is amazing! Great job. it looks so happy in that colour :)

Kalee said...

This is gorgeous! Can I ask how you tinted the primer grey and what color yellow you used? Thanks for sharing!

My name is Amy. said...

OMG! That thing is ree-diculously cute not! I'd forgotten how much I love yellow and gray together. Nice score!

Julie Ranee said...

Beautiful! I absolutely LOVE the color. Thanks for sharing!

ohthecuteness said...

That is one of the best before/afters I have ever seen! I would kill for a desk like that. And thanks for the little tissue flower tutorial, I will have to make one as soon as I am done with my challenge to finish all my unfinished projects!

Eddie said...

I have also bought a desk like that from the skip. It is in an even worse state and I can't wait to do something fun to it.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Blueberry Park said...

what an awesome job you have done with that...you've inspired me to look beyond the yucky mucky stained brown!